Welcome everyone.. In this article I want to discuss what hosting is, complete from understanding, types of hosting and how hosting works itself.
Hosting can be interpreted as a container or place, which is used to store all the files, data, and images of a website. That way, all content on a website can be accessed from the Internet.
What is Hosting?
Hosting itself usually some people call it web hosting. In simple terms, you can interpret it as a server. But this hosting server is a little different from ordinary computer servers.
Because the hosting server can make the data on the website accessible via the Internet.
You can take an example on the website you are reading this (iDBlogging.com).
Where do you think the file you are reading is coming from?
Yes, all the files you access on this website come from a place called hosting.
This hosting component consists of various components, ranging from disk storage, computer CPU, and internet connection.
Of all these components can be called in unity, namely Server.
In order to be continuously connected to the internet and accessible to everyone, the server is managed in a data storage room called a data center .
Actually you can also make your home PC as a data storage server. But the problem is if you use a PC, the durability of the PC is not as great as a server that is specially made to be a host.
If website visitors are limited to 1-10 people, this can still be tolerated.
Imagine if your website visitors thousands, even tens of thousands. What will happen?
As you know, a credible website certainly has an uptime of 99.9%. This means that the server cannot be down or off.
So how does hosting work? Let’s see the explanation below.
How Hosting Works
To understand how this host works is very easy. That is, starting from a browser that accesses a website and sends a request to the Internet (HTTP). The information requested by the browser was received by the internet and forwarded to the server.
Servers that receive requests from the Internet send web pages requested by the Internet. The last process is that the Internet provides the information requested by the browser. A web page appears that is typed or clicked on in the browser.
To make it easier to understand, I’ve made a schematic of how it works. To make it easier to understand.
About as easy as the illustration above. So how the host actually works depends on the server and the internet. All existing data from a website must be on a server that is sent via the internet.
Oh yes, the person who provides the server rental service can be called a Host/Hoster.
After you understand the meaning of hosting and how it works, then you need to know what types of hosts are available and you can use them.
This information is important for those of you who want to create a website by managing your own host or better known as self hosted.
1. Shared Hosting
Shared hosting is a service that allows a server to be used for several websites at once. So that the resources and storage owned by the server are used together, or shared with other server users.
Users can access the server, but in a limited scope. According to what has been set by the server manager.
Shared hosting is considered quite easy and practical to use for those of you who are new to the world of web and servers.
Although friendly for beginners, Shared hosting has its drawbacks and limitations that you need to be aware of.
To understand it, you can see the advantages and disadvantages in the list below.
- Very easy to use for beginners who want to use self hosted.
- Very affordable rental fees compared to VPS and Dedicated services.
- Does not require technical skills for server settings, because the server has been set by the hoster service provider. You just use it.
- Shared hosts will generally be provided with 24-hour customer support to help if there is a problem.
- When a problem occurs on the server, you don’t need to worry because it is the responsibility of the manager.
- Because it is used together with other users, if something causes overload or disruption to the server, other users have the potential to be affected.
- Shared host users have limited access, which is only in the process of processing the database and Control Panel
- All limit settings have been determined by the server manager, such as bandwidth, memory and the number of addon domains. As a user, you are obliged and comply with the agreed rules.
- IP addresses are shared.
“However, shared is the most appropriate and correct choice if you are just starting to create a blog or website with the amount of traffic is not too high.”
2. Cloud Hosting
Cloud hosting is one of the types of hosting with services that allow you to store your website’s database and files on several servers at once.
So that if one of the servers experiences a problem, your website will still be live or online.
This cloud service is easy to manage and use on shared hosting. But the storage capacity and bandwidth is higher. It is suitable for website owners who already have high traffic but do not have technical skills regarding servers.
- Very easy to use like shared hosting.
- No need to think about server settings, because it is the responsibility of the manager.
- Having customer service ready 24 hours to help when there is a problem.
- When a problem occurs on one server, the other server will work like its original condition.
- The weakness lies in the limited server configuration such as shared host, if used by people who are technically savvy with servers.
- The costs required are usually 3-4 times greater than shared hosts. But it’s really worth it if the website traffic is high.
Also, read this post to know more about Awardspace Hosting.
3. VPS (Virtual Private Server)
VPS or Virtual Private Server, as the name implies, namely private and virtual, this type of host allows the use of a personal server.
However, the server used by the user is still in the same space as the other users. The difference is that the resources on the server are not shared with other users.
This is an option for users who need large resources and flexibility in managing servers as needed.
Users can configure the server in full. Starting from the OS, Control Panel, and many others.
- Website performance will not be affected by other users who are having server problems.
- Free to choose the server operating system, if the shared host usually uses Linux, then with a VPS you can use other operating systems such as Windows.
- On VPS, control panel options can be installed with advanced control panels such as Webuzo and VestaCP. However, users can also choose cPanel which is more familiar with shared and cloud.
- Root Access, users can perform full configuration of the server.
- More economical than cloud hosts.
- IP Address is used by one user only.
Weaknesses of VPS:
- Requires technical skills for server configuration.
This VPS is perfect for those of you who are technically savvy about servers. For this reason, if the goal is to accommodate high traffic but minimal technical capabilities, then cloud hosting is a wiser choice.
4. Cloud VPS
Cloud VPS or Cloud Server is an advanced development of ordinary VPS by implementing various modern Cloud technologies, including: High Availability, Distributed Storage, and Scalable.
In general, the way Cloud VPS works is similar to cloud hosting. The difference with Cloud hosting is that it lies in the root level configuration.
Cloud VPS allows users to configure root level like a normal VPS.
Advantages of Cloud VPS:
- Dedicated IP which would be great for SEO
- Runs not only on one physical server, thus allowing more than 99% UP time.
- Not Disturbed by other users
- Faster than regular shared hosting
- Better performance than regular VPS
- Flexibility in choosing server specifications, plus easy to scale up.
Disadvantages of Cloud VPS:
- The only drawback of cloud vps is the configuration that is still unmanaged. This means that you must have a little knowledge about servers to manage this cloud vps.
Cloud VPS is the right choice for those of you who want to start selling through their own website. With cloud technology, it will guarantee your website will always be in a live condition.
In Indonesia, a cheap VPS provider that has implemented Cloud technology is Domainesia.
5. Dedicated Servers
Dedicated Servers are a step up from VPS. Where users will get a special server that can be managed independently.
This type of hosting is the best quality, because all resources, both hardware and software are used alone.
Usually business owners who use dedicated servers. The reason is because the owner of this website will have full rights to the server he rents, including to choose the operation, and the most important thing is that it is useful for storing sensitive internal data.
Dedicated Server Advantages
- The level of security is higher than other types of hosts.
- Very good performance, because it is not affected by other users.
- Storage capacity is better than all the hosting services above.
- Freedom in managing hardware and software that will be used by the user’s server.
Weaknesses of Dedicated Servers
- The cost required is quite large for personal use, recommended for business people who need privacy and security.
- Requires technical skills regarding server configuration.
Now that you have understood the types of hosting available, if you intend to create a website or blog choosing the right hosting is the first path to your success.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the difference between Hosting and Domain?
Hosting and domains are certainly different things, I think Hosting is the cellphone you use and the domain is your phone number.
Specifically, the name on each phone number is the domain, and the phone number itself is the IP address.
Likewise with the internet, a website has a telephone number in the form of an IP address, and a domain is the name of the IP address.
2. How to Choose a good Hosting?
How to choose a good hosting is to look at the uptime guarantee. Uptime is the guaranteed time live or online within 1 year. Usually a good hosting guarantee uptime can reach 99.98%.
In Indonesia, the provider that has guaranteed server uptime up to 99.99% is Domainesia.
3. Benefits of Using Host Indonesia?
Currently, there are many local hosting companies present in Indonesia, before blogging, many had to use foreign hosting. This is fine if the targeted audience is readers from abroad.
However, if the target audience is from within the country, then local hosting is better. The closer server location allows the website or blog loading speed to be better.
In addition, if there is a problem and you want to migrate to another hosting, it’s easier than using a foreign host service.
4. Hosting specifications that are suitable for selling online?
For selling online, it is recommended that you use a Cloud VPS, because online stores are required to always be online. Don’t let potential customers run because they can’t open your website.
Creating a website is also not a difficult thing today. You can read the guide on how to make the easiest website .
All the information to create a website for selling online can be found there.
Thus a discussion of what hosting is, how it works, and its types. By reading the entire description in the article above, it is hoped that you can understand it completely.
So that in the future you do not take the wrong steps in making decisions in choosing a hosting service for your personal website and blog.
See you later…