In this article, I will discuss how to choose the best blogging platform, and it's free. Not only free, but ideal for your needs.
Choosing a blog platform is very important, because this is related to your goals and objectives to create a blog in the future.
In general, there are several reasons why people create blogs, including the following:
- For commitment branding
- As a business medium
- To make money from writing content
- Have Many Visitors/Readers
To achieve this goal, of course you have to prepare the best place (blog platform). So that technical problems can be minimized.
To choose the best blog platform, I have my own indicators, as below:
- Fast loading blog – Must be able to do it independently without coding.
- Beautiful and eye-catching display – Create beautiful visual displays without coding.
- Still good when opened on a mobile phone (Responsive)
- Have a lot of community – When I meet a problem, I have a place to ask.
There are lots of blogging platforms out there that you can use. But not all of them will match the abilities we have.
The good news, I've summarized them into some of the best platforms that you can use for free. Not only that, you will also find out which one is the most suitable for the blog you manage.
Check out the full details below.
Best Blogging Platform
Content in this article:
- How to Choose a Blogging Platform
How to Choose a Blogging Platform
Currently there are many blogging platforms that you can use.
Do you need to try them one by one?
Of course not, you don't need to spend time trying them one by one. I have prepared a comparison table of all the most popular blogging platforms today.
See more in the comparison table below.
From the results of the comparison data above, you can see that almost all existing blogging platforms you can use for free.
But only 3 that you can actually use for free. Namely: WordPress, Blogger, and Tumblr.
So, what I need to discuss in detail are only the 3 free platforms.
How great is this WordPress? As an information, many of the world's major websites are built using WordPress.
Example: Mercedes & CNN
What is the reason they use wordpress?
- With wordpress, it will be very easy for you to publish content that is in accordance with SEO rules.
- Already integrated with search engines like Google, Bing, Yandex, etc.
- WordPress offers convenience for those of you who are new or without coding skills and SEO techniques to become a successful blogger.
In wordpress you can find a variety of modern and beautiful themes (templates), which you can use for free.
Not only free, you can even customize it in full, both in terms of appearance, loading speed without the need for technical skills.
This is what makes wordpress more preferable to me than other blogging platforms. Flexible, new user friendly, optimized for search engines and of course free.
WordPress itself has two platforms, namely WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
What's the difference between the two?…
WordPress.com is a blogging platform where all the resources are provided by WordPress. While WordPress.org is a blogging platform whose resources are provided independently by users.
To make it easier to understand, you can read the comparison between the two below.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
The basic difference between the two can be divided into 4 things below:
- Theme Customization
- Monetization Ability
With wordpress.com you do not need to provide hosting, because it has been provided by the wordpress. This means that all of your blog's data and files are stored on a wordpress server.
For those of you who do not understand what hosting is, please read the following references: Understanding hosting and how it works.
For a domain name, you are also given by wordpress for free. But unfortunately what is given is a subdomain of wordpress.com.
The consequence of a subdomain is the presence of wordpress frills behind your domain name. For example erinatraveller.wordpress.com.
In terms of theme or appearance, you will find it difficult to have a beautiful and modern blog appearance. Because the free themes provided are less attractive and require technical skills for customization.
The most important is the monetization capability. Making money from ad serving (say google adsense) is impossible even though you have a lot of visitors to your blog. Yes, because it is not allowed by wordpress.com.
So, in my opinion, if your goal is just to express yourself by writing, using the wordpress.com blogging platform is more than enough to accommodate your hobby.
If your goal is to make money blogging, make it a media blog personal branding, and make your blog a business blog in the future, then the choice is wordpress.org.
At wordpress.org you do have to buy your own hosting service for your blog, currently better known as self hosted.
But the price is very affordable, only around Rp.250.000 – Rp. 600.000 per year (including top level domain). If divided per month, you only need to pay Rp. 20.000 per month, very cheap right?
You can check hosting prices at well-known hosting providers in Indonesia Niagahoster.com. The price offered is quite affordable, which is around 10 thousand – 26 thousand per month.
For domains you can use a top level domain without any frills, like this blog: idblogging.com. Please check for yourself the domain you want to own:
With self hosted, you will really have the freedom to create your blog and what it is intended for.
You can put a referral link (affiliate), google adsense ad banner, sell your product (now called an online shop). Any way you want to make money can be done at wordpress.org.
So if you want to make money easier with blogging, the solution is to use self hosted.
Back to customizing themes and looks, with wordpress.org you will easily find thousands of beautiful, modern and free themes.
Although wordpress.org is considered superior, there are still differences of opinion between the user community.
- Flexibility. At WordPress.org you can not only create a blog, but it can also be created for online selling websites and company websites.
- Cost. The cost you will spend is only for hosting and domain costs, and even then it is very cheap per month, only around Rp. 20.000.
- Open Source. WordPress is a website or blog builder that has the title of open source. So everything you can do there. Displays, plugins, advertisements and the like can be done.
- Hosting. To get free custom rights, of course, you have to use your own hosting. For some people who think that success is without capital.
- coding. To customize the appearance of course you need coding skills, but in reality you don't need coding skills at all. Themes, plugins, everything you can customize with drag & drop.
Blogger.com is one of the blogging platforms that first enlivened the blogging world on the internet. Previously blogger.com was better known as blogspot.com. After being acquired by Google now they have changed to blogger.com until now.
This best free blogging platform is still very good to use and very easy to configure. You just go to blogger.com and register, then choose a theme. Instantly you are ready to publish your first content.
If you are interested in knowing more about the blogger.com platform you can read my previous articles on: Advantages of blogging with blogger.com
In short, I will write down the plus and minus points of the best free blogging platform on this one:
- Stability. Yes server stability or hosting, because the server used is a google server.
- Monetization. Making money through blogs using the blogger.com platform is very easy because it is integrated with google adsense. You can read my experience when sign up for google adsense on the blogger platform.
- Easy to use. The blogger.com platform is indeed very easy to use, even for people who are just trying to create a blog though.
Min Points (Facts)
- Difficult To Customize. You need to understand coding skills to be able to custom the appearance of your blog, when using blogger.
- Cannot be used for online shops. In the future when you decide to make your blog a business blog, this is very unlikely to be done.
- Lack of support. Support from the blogger community is getting smaller day by day, because its ability to be developed is very difficult. Moreover, blogger has not received any more updates from the developer since 2018.
- The absence of SEO tools that help to compete with other bloggers.
Need to underline:
If your goal of creating a blog using the blogger.com platform is to make money from Google Adsense, then this one is the most suitable platform for you (see list 2 in the points plus the description above).
The next best free blogging platform is tumblr.com. This blogging platform is known as informal micro blogging. Content created using this one blogging platform is usually longer than tweets but cannot be as long as content using other platforms.
Most of the content created here is usually in the form of visuals such as: videos, image slides, or infographics. It is suitable for those of you who don't want to bother thinking about the appearance of your blog and just want to channel your hobby to share ideas and information.
In simple terms, si can be interpreted as more similar to social media than a blog or website. To make it easier to understand, I summarize the plus and minus points of this best free blogging platform.
- It's easy to start publishing content, in 5 minutes you can immediately publish content
- Multiple Blog Management, you can manage many blogs at once with one setting.
- Many blog themes. Tumblr provides thousands of beautiful and elegant themes that you can choose according to the topic of your blog
- Mobile friendly. This blogging platform fully supports the use of mobile to create and publish content.
- Lack of cache optimization, which causes very slow loading. Who now wants to wait for a slow website loading.
- Non-Optimize Text. If you want to rank high in search results based on article content, this will be difficult. Because writing articles today must follow the rules of SEO.
It should be noted:
If your goal is to become a professional blogger, this platform is not recommended, but for sharing hobbies, ideas and information, this is more than enough.
Best Blogging Platform
Finally after comparing between the three best blogging platforms namely wordpress, blogger, and tumblr you at least know which one to choose for your needs.
There are many reasons why I highly recommend wordpress.org for your blogging platform.
You can also read the following references, for create a blog (wordpress.org) for beginners.
Blogger and Tumblr are very easy to use and don't cost anything, but they are not easy to customize and difficult to develop later on.
So choose wisely...